10 Haziran 2015 Çarşamba

Reflection Task 7


Reflection Task VII

Working with Diverse Students

This week’s session called “Working with Diverse Students” covers many articles on different topics including working in large classes with limited resources, teaching a mixed-ability class, and teaching English to children with the ADHD syndrome. However, as it has never been possible for me to observe any of the abovementioned topics in a real life setting, I guess I will not be able to refer to my own observations, anecdotes, or the way my mentor reacted with dealing with any of the topics above. Just one little example might come from my teaching experience in Germany, where we were observing a high school class. A Turkish girl was present there in class, who in my opinion might be a slow learner. As the classroom teacher already knew that that specific girl would have some problems in grasping the math problems, she tried to give her a turn to solve the problem, even though she wasn’t raising her hand. I know that the classroom teacher did what she did with good intentions, but as the girl was not able to answer the question correctly, her self-confidence got ruined and I could realize it from the corner I was sitting. I think this kind of an approach towards the student is wrong, however, I also don’t know for sure what the teacher might have done other than trying to make the student engage in the learning process. If I got to tell you what I have learned from this week’s readings is that we can try to take the bad or negative situation and try to do something beautiful and positive out of it. For instance, you might be facing the difficulties and drawbacks of a crowded classroom but there are also some rather enjoyable activities which you could carry out in a large class. Or, streaming might be the easier way round for us teachers, but I guess this is only valid when we teach to the classes with a higher proficiency level than the others. Think about yourself being made to teach the class with the lowest proficiency level. What will you do then? You will not even have the chance to make a student who grasped the topic tell it to his/her other classmates, as everybody in that class will be facing some troubles understanding the topic. For this reason and many more, I guess we should always try to “look on the bright side of life” J
                                                                                             
                                                                                                                    
Thank You!


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder